Emergency Pediatric Dental Care
Hacienda Heights, Walnut and Diamond Bar

Emergency Care

What do I do if my child’s baby tooth is knocked out?

Contact our office as soon as possible. We will examine the surrounding teeth to make sure no other damage occurred or are loose and require further care. We will not replant the tooth because of the possible damage it may cause to the permanent teeth that are developing.

What do I do if my child’s permanent tooth is knocked out?

Find the tooth if possible, immediately put the tooth back in the socket holding it in place with a clean gauze or wash cloth. If reimplantation is not possible, place the tooth in a glass of milk. Call our office immediately. In order to save the tooth, we need to perform a number of procedures within the first few hours.

What do I do if my child has suffered from a severe blow to the head or a fracture to the jaw?

Seek immediately medical attention as a severe injury to the head may be life-threatening. Once your medical professional has cleared your child, contact our office for oral health care.

What do I do if my child has a toothache?

Contact our office to schedule an appointment. In the meantime, have your child rinse his/her mouth out with water. You may use over-the-counter pain medications may be used to ease the symptoms. Be sure to follow the dosage instructions according to the weight and age of your child. Cold compresses may also be used on the face in the area of the pain, but not apply aspirin or heat to the sore area.

What do I do if my child has a cut or bitten cheek, tongue or lip?

Ice can be applied to any bruised areas. For bleeding, apply firm (but gentle) pressure with sterile gauze or a clean cloth. If the bleeding does not stop with pressure or continues after 15 minutes, go to an emergency room.

Connect with Us